Tuesday, February 1, 2011

How I got in the business...

My background is Chemical Engineering.  I got my BS degree from Texas A&M University in 1980.  I worked for an engineering design firm in Houston, TX designing oil refineries for 4 1/2 years when the oil recession hit, and hit hard.  I had the option of accepting a position at a nuclear power plant in New York, but turned that down because I was expecting our first child and didn't want to be exposed to "the unknown." 

My husband, Steve, was finishing his apprenticeship in the PGA program at that time, and he accepted a head pro job at the Columbia Country Club in January, 1981.  We moved lock, stock, and barrel for Missouri.  I worked with Steve in the golf business for 3 years there (until a corporation bought out the club after they experienced financial distress after expanding their course from 9 holes to 18 holes).  Steve learned of an opening at the  Moberly Country Club, of which he was hired for a 4 year term.  Moberly CC also expanded their course from 9 holes to 18 holes, and suffered economically.  After 7 years there, I got my real estate license.  I had two children by then, and knew I could do well in this business.  My parents had owned and operated 3 real estate offices in Houston, TX while growing up, and I "knew more than the average bear" from dinnertime conversations.  Funny thing was, my parents now remind me that I didn't want anything to do with this business because "all you guys do is talk real estate."  Steve finished his 8th and final year at the country club, providing income for the family while I started my 1st year in a new career.

My children are now grown up.  Christy is a licensed Realtor with my office, and doing very well.  She's married to Shawn Ames and they have two wonderful daughters, my granddaughters:  Kalli and Maddi.  Mark is finishing his senior year in high school and expects to play golf on the collegiate level; he's been offered a scholarship at three different Missouri colleges and expects to be signing with one soon...so excited!

My husband, Steve, has life membership now in the PGA of America, and is a retired from the country club business.  His golf game is as sharp as ever, and he has been such a mentor to both of our children.  I attribute their success in life to his attention... :)  He has been such an encourgement to my in my daily life, always keeping me focused on "the positive."   Without him I would not be where I am today.  He still gives golf lessons if anyone wants one (haha).  Enough said on this.  Now you know where I've been and how I got here.

No comments:

Post a Comment